Our 2012 guest dog

Our 2012 guest dog
Our 2012 guest dog, Cornerstone's Revelation at Raglan PT "Rosy" ... you can come stay anytime, sweet girl!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Goodbye

The world's a little emptier now ... my first mentor, breeder-judge Mary Gretchen Belloff, passed away on April 1.

Mary had pretty firm principles, and I'm sure she was capable of ruffling a few feathers in defense of them. As a breeder and a judge, she was tough-minded yet fair. If you asked her opinion, you got it. As a judge, she didn't play favorites, and would pick what she considered the best dog on that day. As a breeder, she bred great dogs.

I knew her as a gracious, warm and funny person. She wasn't one for making a fuss about herself, particularly as she defied the odds in her battle with cancer. I'm grateful to her for introducing me to the world of Cardigans, and feel very privileged to have a dog from the last litter she bred.

I truly believe that her beloved Viviane was waiting for her, and they are now together again.

Godspeed, Mary.

Mary and Gunny

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was a joyful reunion, one that few could ever replicate! Godspeed Mary, I'm sure Viviane is delighted to have her best buddy back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a librarian with cardigans. My partner and I lived in Detroit for 8 years where we met Mary and acquired our first (of four) cardigans. Mary was a mentor to me as well. She was also an incredibly good friend. She will be missed.
    Jeff Trzeciak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! The world seems a little less bright with her gone.

    ReplyDelete